[Qa-debsources] patch/copyright tracker status

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Wed Dec 23 11:07:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:55:06PM +0200, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
> Generally, although probably not that important, PR#48 and PR#53 needs
> review since it has a lot of refactoring for the versions view (visual
> notification that a package has no patches, avoid c/p code) and the
> documentation. The PR#48 contains all the commits from PR#53 plus some
> others so PR#53 is easier to review.

I'm all for refactorings, so thanks for working on this. Given they seem
to mostly touch the views, I'd be happier if Matthieu could review
those. But if he cannot, I can have a look in his stead. Please ping me
if that's needed.

> Copyright tracker
>
> Updater
> Last time we enabled the copyright plugin was taking forever. We
> identified some of the bottlenecks and I ve made some improvements in
> PR#52 . I guess it needs review and retest the plugin to see if the
> speed is improved.
>
> I am not sure if this is a huge blocker since the tracker now works on
> the fly. Although we are missing charts-stats etc

I think at this point it'd be better to merge the code for the
on-the-fly d/copyright copyright tracker, to give it exposure to actual
users. I'm sure doing so we will catch other issues in corner cases, and
that would be very useful feedback to have. The updater/DB-based
copyright tracker can come later.

> SPDX
> I ve worked on this recently to fix the issues of dual license. I think
> it is now good for review. PR#57

How dependent is this on the rest of the copyright tracker work? Given
the bug was fixed, I think we can include this in the main copyright
tracker PR, no?

> Notable things missing:
> - If we want to integrate this to the PTS then we would need a list of
> all packages with machine-readable d/copyright files. To do that I
> assume we need the DB
> - avoid linking to non-existing folder or files
> - refactoring stats templates to avoid c/p code..

Agreed. So this would probably need to wait until we have the updater.

Note that I don't think there are any more blockers into giving the
updater another try, given that IIRC we did fix the performance problems
adding the needed foreign key constraints (does your memory agree with
this?).

> The tracker works afaict. I haven't noticed any problems.

Great. I don't have any objection into merging this (modulo pending
review), and there seems to be demand for it, given the absence of the
previous tracker.

> - PTS integration. We need a list of all packages with supported patches
> to do that
> - Retrieve the checksum of the orig.tar.gz
>
> Blockers:
>
> - Everything works on the fly since there is not db for the tracker yet.
> So we need a db schema and a plugin.

So to be precise these do not seem to be blocker for deploying the patch
tracker on to sources.d.n. But they do are blockers for PTS
integration. Right?

I'd be happy to discuss the DB schema/plugin for tracking within the DB
the state of patches (better in a separate thread though).

> I would like to "restart" working on those since i am begining to have
> much time free but i don't know where to start :p

Great news! And who are we to let your free time be wasted? :-P

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .