[Qa-debsources] patch/copyright tracker status

Orestis Ioannou orestis at oioannou.com
Sat Dec 26 12:35:24 UTC 2015

On 12/23/2015 03:19 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 02:14:30PM +0200, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
>> SPDX work on the fly right now. The issue is that for > medium size
>> packages it fails due to timeout of the request.
>> I think the speed would improve with the db since we won't need to parse
>> the c/p file again and retrive the license for each file.
>
> I don't get why we need to parse d/copyright for every file. We are
> talking about SPDX generation for a whole package, right? If so, it
> seems to me possible to parse d/copyright only once, and consult the DB
> to get the file listing as well as the checksums of each file. What am I
> missing here?

we need the liecense for each file as well and since we don't have the
db we need to do the same process the plugin does to retrieve the license.

>> Yes i seem to recall fixing a constraint that helped.  What i did in
>> PR#52 is cache the parsed copyright file in order to retrieve the
>> license of foo.bar instead of parsing the d/copyright for each file
>
> (Is that the optimization mentioned in the first paragraph above?)

No the optimization here is for the plugin. The spdx has nothing to do
with that.

the optimization in PR#52 is:

Before:

for each file:
	parse d/copyright file and store it
	retrieve the license of the file

After:

parse d/copyright file and store it
for each file:
	retrieve the license of the file using the

I hope this is clearer,

Orestis