[Qa-debsources] patch/copyright tracker status

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Wed Dec 23 13:19:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 02:14:30PM +0200, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
> SPDX work on the fly right now. The issue is that for > medium size
> packages it fails due to timeout of the request.
> I think the speed would improve with the db since we won't need to parse
> the c/p file again and retrive the license for each file.

I don't get why we need to parse d/copyright for every file. We are
talking about SPDX generation for a whole package, right? If so, it
seems to me possible to parse d/copyright only once, and consult the DB
to get the file listing as well as the checksums of each file. What am I
missing here?

> > Agreed. So this would probably need to wait until we have the
> > updater.
>
> Maybe for the copyright tracker buxy would agree to link to the
> copyright tracker since all the files have a license even if it isn't
> machine readable.  I could propose him a patch for this.

That would be great. Maybe, before starting to work on a patch, check
with him how he feels about the idea. It might avoid useless work.

> Yes i seem to recall fixing a constraint that helped.  What i did in
> PR#52 is cache the parsed copyright file in order to retrieve the
> license of foo.bar instead of parsing the d/copyright for each file

(Is that the optimization mentioned in the first paragraph above?)

> PTS requires a file with all the packages that have patches so that it
> only links to the patch tracker only for those packages and not for
> everything. I don't know if we can do this without DB but yes that is
> only something related to the PTS. the patch tracker works good on the
> fly. Didn't observe any timeouts even for packages with many patches (linux)

YAY!

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o