[Qa-debsources] patch/copyright tracker status

Orestis Ioannou orestis at oioannou.com
Mon Jan 4 00:26:22 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am sorry, probably I confused you a lot!!

On 01/03/2016 05:37 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 02:35:24PM +0200, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
>>> I don't get why we need to parse d/copyright for every file. We are
>>> talking about SPDX generation for a whole package, right? If so, it
>>> seems to me possible to parse d/copyright only once, and consult the DB
>>> to get the file listing as well as the checksums of each file. What am I
>>> missing here?
>>
>> we need the liecense for each file as well and since we don't have the
>> db we need to do the same process the plugin does to retrieve the license.
>
> Sorry, I still don't get it. The use case I've in mind is SPDX
> generation (I'll mention other use cases later). For that, AFAICT< we
> need to parse the d/copyright file *once*, and then iterate over all
> packages files and query the parsed d/copyright for each of them asking
> for the file license. Right? I really don't see why we would need to
> *parse* d/copyright for each file. Can you explain? (Even with pointers
> to actual code, if that would help.)

Forget SPDX. What i was saying is that in the *plugin/hook* for the
*updater* i was doing the mistake to parse the d/copyright file again
and again for each package file instead of parsing it once and then
query it as you suggest here. This is one of the reasons the updater was
taking like forever and i fixed that in PR#52 [1]. It has nothing to do
with SPDX...

The reference to SPDX is the following:

During the spdx document generation, even if i parse the d/copyright
file only once and query it for each package file, for large packages
this is already long and the server responds with a timeout. Probably
when we would be able to retrieve the license of each package file with
the DB (instead of parsing and querying the d/copyright file) the SPDX
generation will get faster and we won't have timeouts.

I hope this is clearer :)

Cheers,

Orestis

[1] (The changes in the hook_copyright.py and license_helper.py)
https://github.com/oorestisime/debsources/commit/c479e917046020fc5429b2866334b0ba6edf2766