[Qa-debsources] patch/copyright tracker status

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Mon Jan 4 09:35:47 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 05:51:21PM +0200, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
> What i was saying is that by mistake in the plugin that fills the DB i
> was parsing the copyright file for each package file instead of
> parsing it once and querying it after.. Hence it was really slow

Ah, OK, that's clear now, thanks.

> About spdx.. Right now some packages fail due to time out because we
> generate the spdx document on the fly so if the package has many files
> it takes some time to query the d/copyright file for every package
> file.. I suppose this takes more time than a normal response and we
> have the timeout..  Or maybe i didnt understand what is happening!

We will certainly need to figure out what is happening and debug why is
that. But it's not a dramatic behavior, because it is conceivable that
we have corner cases of insane SPDX files. What would be useful is
getting an idea of how often that happens. Then we can design the right
solutions (explicit timeout, offline SPDX generation, etc). It would
help if you could note down (possibly as bug reports?) the cases you
know about where the timeout happens.

> This is what i was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion i generated!

No worries, and thanks for the explanation :)

About publicizing this work: would you like to prepare a draft blog post
about the recent Debsources changes? Given that most of it is works of
yours, I think you should have the honor of announcing it :) But I'll be
happy to review a draft of the blog post if you want me to.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .