[Reportbug-maint] reportbug update problem

Stokkenes Vidar Vidar.Stokkenes at hn-ikt.no
Fri Feb 20 10:22:02 UTC 2009

Hello, and sorry about the last email.

I have no idea why it appeared empty, I had a pretty long email written but somehow it got pummeled somehow. Sorry for writing an email if you prefer it other ways, I kinda searched on SF and Launchpad and couldn't really find you. And when I look on packages.debian.org, all I really find is how to report a bug using reportbug. Kind of awkward thing to search for too.

Anyways here is my problem:

When trying to update reportbug by using "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" I get the following error:

<snip>

luna:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  nav
  reportbug
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
41 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/142kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 40977 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace reportbug 3.31 (using .../reportbug_3.31+etch1_all.deb) ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1373, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1367, in main
    rv = action.run(global_options)
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 952, in run
    pkg.remove(runtimes, remove_script_files=True)
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 697, in remove
    default_runtime.remove_byte_code(self.private_files)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'remove_byte_code'
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1373, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1367, in main
    rv = action.run(global_options)
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 952, in run
    pkg.remove(runtimes, remove_script_files=True)
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 697, in remove
    default_runtime.remove_byte_code(self.private_files)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'remove_byte_code'
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/reportbug_3.31+etch1_all.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1373, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1367, in main
    rv = action.run(global_options)
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 889, in run
    self.options.exclude, byte_compile_default=True)
  File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 672, in install
    self.default_runtime.byte_compile(self.private_files,
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'byte_compile'
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/reportbug_3.31+etch1_all.deb
luna:~#

</snip>

I've tried googling for the same type of error, and I found something from 2006 that was /usr/bin/python symlink related, which is not the case (my symlinks points to the most recent python install) My current version of reportbug seems to be v3.31, and I'm updating to whatever is current on the "etch" tree.

Any idea why my update would fail like this?

And again, I'm very sorry for bothering you personally first Sandro.

Have a very nice weekend!

/Vidar S