[sane-devel] Epson 1640US and Sane 1.0.5

Roy Murphy murphy@panix.com
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 19:58:54 -0400

'Twas brillig when Karl Heinz Kremer scrobe:
> do you have an USB adapter in your computer? If so, could you try
> it with USB so that we can rule out a problem with the backend (which
> is very unlikely because others have reported success with this
> device).

I've finally gotten the scanner configured with a USB interface.
Unfortunately, I find the same result.  scanimage -T -v gives a normal
looking scanner.  I get the scanner from the gimp and I can do a preview
window.  Scans up to 400 dpi work normally.  A scan at 480 (or higher)
dpi causes the status light to blink red and returns an "Error during
read.  Invalid argument" dialog and the picture returned is garbled.
On the console, I get an "[epson] option: fatal error" message.  I have
some syslog messages "modprobe: can't locate module char-major-81".
I don't have an alias in conf.modules for char-major-81.  (Very strange.
Char Major 81 is for video devices of which I have none installed.
Yet invoking sane from the gimp causes this message in syslog.)

Sane is 1.0.5 recently compiled.  Kernel version is 2.2.19 compiled
tonight.

> What kind of error message do you see on the console? Is the SCSI
> bus terminated correctly? Which Adaptec card are you using? Are there
> other devices on the SCSI bus besides the scanner?

Which card?  <grumble, grumble>  dmesg says:
(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/11/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Ext-50 YES)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 415 instructions downloaded
enable_irq() unbalanced from c881a55a
(scsi1) <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/13/0
(scsi1) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
(scsi1) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Ext-50 YES)
(scsi1) Downloading sequencer code... 415 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.29/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter>
scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.29/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 2 hosts.
(scsi0:0:2:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: EPSON     Model: Perfection1640    Rev: 1.03
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The scanner is the only device on that SCSI card.  I have a second Adaptec
with some other devices.  The scanner has no place to terminate the bus.

The symptoms are the same as above.  Scanner works with preview and up
to 400 dpi.  Above 400 dpi, the image is garbled (or mostly black) a
the status light blinks red and the gimp returns an "Error during read.
Invalid argument" dialog.  On the console, I get an "[epson] option:
fatal error" message.  On syslog I get the same messages when sane loads.
"modprobe: can't locate module char-major-81".