[sane-devel] Nikon LS-1000, broken?

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:44:42 +0000

Morten,

> I've got an Nikon LS-1000 film scanner that has been connected to a Win NT
> PC. That PC has been broken for a while, so recently I connected the scanner
> to my HP workstation running sane. The scanner is detected and sane belives
> it is working, but the scan turn out to be a (nearly) all black image with a
> few colored spots. Does anybody recognice this as a symptom that I have done
> something wrong with setting up the scanner, or should I just try to have
> the scanner repaired at once?  (I know sane is working properly, as I have
> already another scanner connected to the HP)

Have you tried the scanner with a working Window$ PC? This is the
first thing you should do. It may well be that the scanner is faulty,
as my LS-30 was after transport. The fault of the LS-30 was that the
lens had slipped out of its place and caused scanner calibration to
fail. Had it slipped out even more, it would probably have caused the
same effect as you get. From experience with the LS-30 I can tell that
the scanner is fairly easy to take apart and repair (it's only an
awkward job, but nothing can really go wrong).

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/