[sane-devel] Scanner Basics

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:08:14 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 10:46:55PM +0100, Philippe Berini wrote:
> I have had exactly the same problem two days ago (with Mandrake 9.0. and a USB
> scanner Canon N676U).
>
> I had put :
> options scanner vendor=0x04a9 product=0x220d
> in /etc/modules.conf

That means: If you run "modprobe scanner", automatically use the
options you provided. So you don't need to type them everytime.
However, you still must run "modprobe scanner".

> Eventually I noticed that with lsmod, the name of the module was "scanner" and
> I added in /etc/modules.conf two lines instead of one:
>
> alias /dev/usb/scanner0 scanner

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that will achieve anything. If you
do "rmmod scanner", then run "scanimage -L", that really works?
It doesn't work here.

Usually, there are two approaches to load the scanner driver when
booting:

* Put "scanner" in /etc/modules (works on Debian and Mandrake)
* Add "modprobe scanner" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local or similar (RedHat)

Automatic loading works with the hotplug utilities.