[sane-devel] A3 size scanners

Rene Rebe rene.rebe at gmx.net
Sat Nov 23 16:48:56 GMT 2002

Hi.

On: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:47:42 +0100,
    Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 05:15:27PM +0100, Rene Rebe wrote:
> > Since people on this list reask from time to time about A3 sized
> > scanners supported by SANE:
> >
> > I just commited a new version of the SANE/Avision backend which now
> > handles ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) as well as A3 sized scanners.
> >
> > I can not yet garantee that every A3 Avision scanner will work - but
> > at least the top model Avision AV 8000 S works fine ;-) !!!
>
> Fine. Can you add the newly supported models (and the ones that might
> work) to avision.desc so they show up on the SANE webpage?
> You can also add all the untested models with status :untested.
> My expereince is, once they show up in the list/search engine, the
> number of reports increses.

Yes. I update the .desc file (maybe I should generate them from the
source - since I have a device-list in the code ...

> Some related notes/questions:
>
> There were some questions on #sane irc channel and in Usenet about the
> USB scanners supported by the avision backend. Most people didn't know
> that they need th hpusbscsi module. I know that this is explained on
> the webpage, but could you also add a paragraph abou this in the
> manpage?

Err. Ok. I do this, too ;-)

> The config file uses "scsi FCPA". As you mention the SP 15C, does this
> mean, that the sp15c backend is not longer necessary? Shouldn't all
> these scanners be mentioned in avision.desc, at least as "untested"?

I only noticed this by taking a look into a .dll file and found all
the ID. So I added them also into my device list. I ask the maintainer
of the backend for test - but IIRC he had no time so far.

From what I saw in the code - the used commands look rather
familiar. So the backend might be no longer necessary. I'll add them
as untested - and maybe we see some users which want to test this ;-)

I'll also try if I can obtain such a scanner on eBay or so ...

(I'll to all the above in the next two days - since I'll leave in a
few minutes)

> Bye,
>   Henning

-- René