[sane-devel] IO-error in sane/Xsane using IDE over SCSI

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:05:04 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:38:30PM +0100, Katja und Siegfried Haas wrote:
> I have just subscribed the mailinglist and would like to make the
> following request! Can anybody help me?

Looks more like a kernel or SuSE than a SANE problem.

To make sure, no SANE backend interfers, you could disable everything
but mustek in dll.conf. An you could disable all the scsi entries in
mustek.conf and only use a fixed "/dev/sg2".

> After installing Xcdroast on my Linux-system (SuSE 7.3, Kernel 2.4) I
> had to set both - the IDE-CD-Rom and the IDE-CD-Writer - as SCSI-devices
> via the "SCSI-emulation", using the command in lilo-append "hdc=ide-scsi
> hdd=ide-scsi".

Similar problems with the SCSI emulation have been reported
frequently. But I thought they have been fixed meanwhile. Which kernel
version is this exactly?

> That works well for Xcdroast but now my SCSI-Scanner
> (Mustek Paragon 600 II) gives, when using it via Xsane as normal user,
> the errormessage "Fehler bei Geräte IO"and does not work at all.

If you enable debug messages, you should get a more detailed error
message: SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=255 xsane

> When
> scanning as root via sane the scanner works, allthough the ...pnm-file,
> which is created, can not be read by gimp (error-message"unexpected end
> of file").

Usually that means, that some sort of error ocuured, too. But
scanimage should also pront the error message. Which SANE version do
you use?

> cat proc/scsi/scsi gives the answer in the attached file (CD-Rom at
> 0000, CD-RW at 0010 and Scanner at 1060)

Looks ok for me.

> What can I do? How can I set the permission correct for the physical
> SCSI-Adapter?(sg2 has the right permissions!)

No idea. Usually you must only set the permissions for /dev/sg?.
However, the "error during device io" usually doesn't mean "permission
problem" but a problem during actual scanning.