[sane-devel] smp usb and hp office jet g85 not a good combination

Brent Hasty blueeagle1@crosswinds.net
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:21:14 -0800

I have went throught quite a bit of grief trying to get a  hp office jet =
g85=20
running on usb on my dual athlon liquid cooled terminal server.  Causes r=
eal=20
erratic stability issues.  Most of the time when booting into smp mode wi=
th=20
the g85 plugged into usb, the machine will lock just after having finishe=
d=20
en=20
shutdown unmount and reboot the system.  It has been a long time since I =
have=20
had to use the reset button. (ecept on a windows box)

A little research has revield that the smp usb problem is a known kernel=20
issue. I hope things are made to work better in the 2.5 seriese kernels.

I will be building a uniprossesor print server to handle this g85 printer=
 on=20
our network for the above mentioned reasons.

Unfortunate because the g85 is a multifunction device and i really wanted=
 to=20
handle the scanning locally on the higher power machine.  the smp is a lo=
t=20
better at converting images from the raw format the scanner puts out.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has a solution.