[sane-devel] Re: saned problems with xinetd

Robert Kleemann robertk@oz.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 01:34:53 -0700

At Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:52:38 +0200,
Jochen Eisinger wrote:
> could you send a tcpdump of the traffic between scanimage and saned?

Sure, I ran "tcpdump -i any -x -s 1024" and then ran "scanimage -L"
locally.  You can find the output at:
http://www.kleemann.org/crap/tcpdump1

I'm trying to verify this from the same machine so all these messages
are from/to the same host.

> I don't have xinetd running, so it's hard to tell whether the config
> is right or not. However, it might help to add "protocol = tcp" to
> the sane block in xinetd.conf and/or "sane 6566/tcp" to
> /etc/services.

I had already tried both those options with no luck.

> There is a little page about saned at penguin-breeder.org/?page=sane-net
> btw.

Thanks.  I had seen the page initially and it was responsible for
getting me nearly there.  The hints about having a script wrapper call
saned with debug info was particularly helpful.

> > fails when run from xinetd.
>
> --
> ...and I doubt complaining to the author will get you
> anything but a free procmail rule.

I hope I haven't offended you.  I tried to get it working on my own
and when I failed I hoped that sending a detailed message to the list
would jog the memory of people who had a similar problem.  I really
appreciate all this free software!

thanx!
Robert