[sane-devel] HP5470c scanner nearly working!

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:32:03 +0100

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

>Yeah, I saw the project but there did not seem to be anything happening.
>However, the hp5400-20021018.tar.gz did form the basis for my program.
>
>Thanks for your report of success. Seems only the version numbers are slightly
>different.
>
>Anyway, I've decoded the images and it now saves them to disk as PPM files.
>If you scan anything with a lot of white you can see that the calibration
>(and gamma correction) definitly needs some work. I have some theories about
>how to get the figures but I havn't done it yet. Interestingly, the full
>preview image includes a section which is within the case itself. Looks like
>some test areas and other odd stuff going on there. I've put the image up
>here: http://svana.org/kleptog/hp5470/output.png (1MB).

The white strip with the black square is very similar to what you see in
hp3300, hp3400 and hp4300 scanners.
Also very typical is the shift in color components, where in this case
blue seems to have shifted up exactly 1 pixel and red down 1 pixel.
For the niash backend (which is still not ready by the way...) I solved
this by using a circular buffer that realigns the color components.
This can be a bit tricky, since the shift varies with vertical scan
resolution.

Regards,
Bertrik