[sane-devel] Problems getting SANE to recognise an HP ScanJet 5P

Martin inkubus@interalpha.co.uk
02 Jul 2003 23:35:32 +0100

Hi,
  Having real problems getting SANE to recognise my ScanJet 5P and
someone on our local LUG suggested asking here.

Background info:
*. Custom UltraSPARC IIi based machine running Debian 3.0
*. SCSI bus and cable definately works
*. Scanner worked last time it was used (a little while back) and can be
made to play music in test mode.

SCSI info
*. Have module sg loaded

[martin@raphael martin]$ cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
<snip>
 21 sg
<snip>

and it works with a SCSI CD burner.

*. Scanner is recognised by SCSI drivers

[martin@raphael martin]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
<snip>
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C5110A           Rev: 3701
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

SANE config
*. For an HP ScanJet 5P I /think/ this is all the config I need

[martin@raphael martin]$ cat /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
scsi HP
/dev/scanner

*. Version

raphael:/u/martin# scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.7; backend version 1.0.7

The Problem
*. The SANE layer doesn't seem to recognise the scanner

raphael:/u/martin# scanimage --device-name=hp:/dev/sgc
scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/sgc failed: Invalid argument
raphael:/u/martin# scanimage --device-name=hp:/dev/sg2
scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/sg2 failed: Invalid argument
raphael:/u/martin# scanimage -L

raphael:/u/martin# ln --symbolic /dev/sg2 /dev/scanner
raphael:/u/martin# scanimage --device-name=hp:/dev/scanner
scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/scanner failed: Invalid argument
raphael:/u/martin# sane-find-scanner -v
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/scanner... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/scanner
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg0... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg0
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg1... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg1
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg2... open ok
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI disk "  " at device /dev/sg2
<snip>

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find more info or what I
might be doing wrong?

Sweet Dreams,
 - Martin

--