[sane-devel] Second draft of Scanner HOWTO for TLDP

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:50:58 +0200

Howard Shane wrote:
> I've visited the libusb site, and the only documentation available seems
> to be for developers. If someone can point me to more user-oriented
> information I'll be happy to include it. I assume it's out of the beta
> phase? Are there distribution manufacturers including it in their stable
> branches of binaries?

Mandrake contains libusb since 9.0 or so. SANE and libgphoto2 of
Mandrake Linux 9.1 are compiled with libusb support. To use libusb with
binary packages, the "libusb*" package has to be installed with

    urpmi libusb

For compiling programs using libusb you need also the "libusb*-devel"
package which can be installed with

    urpmi libusb-devel

I donīt have info about other distros (I work as developer at
MandrakeSoft), but if Debian ships libusb my guess is that one installs
it with

    apt-get install libusb
    apt-get install libusb-dev

I hope this helps.