[sane-devel] (Solved) problems with ownership of scanner device file

Mark Plowman sane-devel@plowman.xs4all.nl
13 Mar 2003 14:42:56 +0100

Dear All,

I have had SANE running my Relisys Scorpio 3 scanner nicely for a few
months now via the net interface, but was being surprised that
*something* kept mucking up the ownership of the device file
'/dev/sg6'.

It (eventually) turned out that it was a 'PAM' modules at work, so,
for others, here is what I discovered and did:

The file:

  /etc/security/console.perms

"... determines the permissions that will be given to privileged
users of the console at login time, and the permissions to which to
revert when the users log out."

By commenting out the (two) lines which mention "scanner", peace was
restored...

Perhaps this will make someone else happy...

Greeting

Mark

  then each of us still has one object.
If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them,
  then each of us now has two ideas.

Do *not* use the following address, it's just a "spam trap":
  aaron02@plowman.xs4all.nl