[sane-devel] help with Microtek 9800XL

E GCP egcp@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:01:02 +0000

Hi! I'm a newbie working with SANE, so please be patient.

I have a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL scanner. I'm trying to make it work with
Linux. I have RedHat9, sane-backends-1.0.12-4, sane-frontends-1.0.11-3, and
xsane-0.91-1 installed.  lsmod shows that the  generic SCSI support is
loaded:
sg                     36524   0 (autoclean)
sr_mod                 18136   0 (autoclean)
ide-scsi               12208   0
scsi_mod              107544   3 [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]

I know ScanMaker 9800XL is not on the list of SANE supported scanners, but
when I type "sane-find-scanner" I get:
  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x05da, product=0x20de) at libusb:002:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
by

The scanner is connected to the USB port. I don't have a SCSI card.

However, when I try "scanimage -L" I get:

I searched the sane-devel list and Google for any information related  to
this scanner working in Linux and I couldn't find anything relevant.

Is it possible to get this scanner working with Linux? If so, any help,
pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Enrique