[sane-devel] Adding hotplug scripts to CVS

Sergey Vlasov vsu@altlinux.ru
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:22:23 +0400

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 12:47:55PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> I just checked with a Stylus Photo RX500.  Here's the output of lsusb
> (with only this USB device attached) on Debian testing/unstable.
>
>   olaf@zen:~$ lsusb
>   Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>   Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b8:0807 Seiko Epson Corp.
>   Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>   Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>   Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>   olaf@zen:~$

"lsusb -v" would be more useful.  An USB device can have several
interfaces, and each interface can have a different driver attached.

> > Another solution is to have the device owned by saned:<printer group>
> > and use saned to access the scanner.
>
> I guess you could also flip the ownership and use something like
> lp:scanner if that would be more appropriate.

If there are separate interfaces for scanning and printing, the USB
printer driver will attach to the printing interface, and the usbfs
node will be needed only for scanning - so no problem with
permissions.

If there is only one interface, something similar to hpoj will be
needed...

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip--