[sane-devel] Epson Perfetion 2480 scanner

Michael Polenske mpolenske@hpce.nec.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:36:10 +0200

Good morning,

I'm also an owner of a 2480, and I tried various things over the weekend to establish this scanner on my linux system (I'm using SuSE 9.1) - but unfortually I was not successfull ...

> I don't know anything about this scanner, which means that I also
> don't know if the scanner is supported by the EPSON backend, or uses a
> different design that may fall into the same category as the 3170,
> 1670, 1260, 1270 or 660.

I don't have deeper informations about the 2480, but in the net this scanner is mentioned as followup of the 1670 - so maybe the same chipset-family ?!

> You can find out if it's supported by the EPSON backend by adding a
> line like this to your epson.conf file
> usb 0x4b8 <product id>
>
> export SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=128
> scanimage > /tmp/scan.log

Okido, I made the changes you mentioned and here is the output (I'll send it to the list so that also other people can comment this):

arthur:~ # sane-find-scanner
[...]
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:003:002
[...]

arthur:~ # export SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=128
arthur:~ # scanimage > /tmp/scan.log

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson to 128.
[epson] sane_init: sane-backends 1.0.14
[epson] sane_init, ># epson.conf<
[epson] sane_init, >#<
[...]
[epson] sane_init, >usb 0x4b8 0x121<
[epson] attach_one_usb(libusb:003:002)
[epson] SANE Epson Backend v0.2.41 - 2004-02-01
[epson] attach(libusb:003:002, 3)
[epson] attach: opening libusb:003:002
[epson] Found valid EPSON scanner: 0x4b8/0x121 (vendorID/productID)
[epson] reset()
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] buf[0] 1b .
[epson] buf[1] 40 @
[epson] receive buf, expected = 1, got = 0
[epson] get_identity_information()
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] buf[0] 1b .
[epson] buf[1] 49 I
[epson] receive buf, expected = 4, got = 0
[epson] ident failed
[epson] sane_get_devices()
scanimage: no SANE devices found

So it looks like that this scanner is not supported by the epson backend.

I tried iscan and the epkowa backend, but also unseccessfull.

In the net I was able to find the information that the 1670 is supported by the snapscan backend - and the 2480 is maybe a followup of the 1670 - so I tried to setup the snapscan backend. Copy firmware (esfw41.bin) from the windows installation, add id for 2480 in the snapscan.conf --- scanimage -L can now find the printer, but when I try to scan I run into timeouts.

If you need any deeper informations, debug messeges etc, please ask me.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Polenske                  System Analyst
   NEC High Performance Computing Europe GmbH
Prinzenallee 11     D-40549 Duesseldorf, Germany
Tel: +49 211 5369 145     mpolenske@hpce.nec.com
Fax: +49 211 5369 199    http://www.hpce.nec.com
             GPG / PGP-Key available
		AIM: polenskeHPCE