[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1640SU with ADF or Filmadapter

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:32:40 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:10:57AM +0200, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
> # scanimage -d epson:/dev/sg0  --source Automatic Document Feeder
> This syntax was obviously not correct. Can someone tell me how it should
> looks like to scan from the ADF?

Maybe something like:

scanimage --source "Automatic Document Feeder" --batch --batch-count 5

to scan five pages.

> 3) xscanimage:
>
> # xscanimage -ANE
> didn't work. Is this the correct syntax to scan from the ADF?

The correct syntax is to run xscanimage without options, look for the
option called "source" and select "Automatic Document Feeder" :-)

> However I discovered that starting xscanimage (without options) and by
> enlarging the X widget, a selection for scan source (like that in xsane)
> became visible. I selected Automatic Document Feeder and clicked on the
> Scan button. An error message said: Fail to start scanner, error during
> device I/O. That is exact the same message as mentioned with xsane. No
> scanning at all started. Only setting the source back to the default
> Flatbed worked and scanned from the flatbed again.

So it really looks like a backend problem.

> 4) scanadf:
>
> # scanadf
> started scanning from the flatbed! (not from the ADF): image-001,
> image-002 and more and looked to never stop this process. I quitted the
> program with Ctrl-C in the terminal window, and the scanner stopped
> (pause).  From another terminal window I verified that scanimage -L not
> longer could identify any scanner. I quitted the first terminal window,
> and now the scanning process continued, until I rebooted the system.
> Is this correct? Shouldn't scanadf start scanning from the ADF only?

No. You must also use "--source "Automatic..." to select where you
scan from.