[sane-devel] Sane/Xsane and high resolution color negative film scans

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan@buzzard.me.uk
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:31:55 +0000

Please don't cc me directly and mail to the list. I clearly subscribe to
the list and getting two copies of the same email is anyoing.

hfiguiere@teaser.fr said:
> According to Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan@buzzard.me.uk>:
> > You might want to consider looking at Vuescan. It is not free, but it
> > is targeted at this sort of scanning and will do the sort of colour
> > correction of negatives that you are after, with results that surpass
> > anything that can easily be achieved using Sane.
> >
> >     http://www.hamrick.com/
>
> Seriously, I don't think it is a solution. It does not run on not i386
> Linux... If only I had the skills...

In a perfect world there would be a open source equivalent of Vuescan.
In the mean time it is a possible solution for large numbers of people.
Over 90% of desktop/workstation computers in use are x86 derivatives.
In this particular case Vuescan was indeed a solution for the original
poster, in his own words

  Jonathan,

   thanks for your feedback and suggestion. Yes, I tried it out and you
   are absolutely right - the Vuescan is the best program for my type of
   scanning I found. My scanned negs and slides are mostly roll film - 6x7,
   6x9 and I do a lot of 4x5inch as well. Program works fine, image scan
   quality is very good and with the many options to set specific parameters,
   the results can be optimized for all films, densities and lighting
   situations.

   Thanks for your help and best regards

   George

Just because it might not be a possible solution for you, because you
don't use an x86 based computer, does *not* mean it is not a solution.

It is *no* excuse for berating a perfectly sound suggestion that provided
a solution to the person asking the question.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195