[sane-devel] HP5370C still not working

Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:52:43 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:41:29PM +0200, insane@piments.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how much of this can be laid at the door of "USB", I think it
> is more specifically trouble with SANE backends.

If several sane backends fail with two specific kernel versions and
those backends worked with older kernel versions then the conclusion
that it might be a kernel issue isn't far-fetched.

If you have facts that there is a bug in the backends that only
showed up because of kernel changes, please tell us.

Just to make one point clear: There is no general problem with SANE
concerning Linux 2.6.

> I had wasted probably weeks trying to get my cannon FB630U to work under
> 2.6x kernels until some helpful sole suggested I try vuescan.

Can someone else confirm that the canon630u backend does not work on
Linux 2.6? So we can either add a warning about trouble with Linux 2.6
for this scanner?

> I would like to work with open source solutions but there is a limit to
> how much time I can reasonably spend on a broken driver (and I have
> already over-stepped that mark by an order of magnitude. )

I'm sorry for that. Could you please send a summary of the problems
and possible solutions/work-arounds you have found until now? Or if
you have already done that, could you point me to that posting? This
way your effort isn't wasted and other people with similar problems
don't need to try the same things.

> Emails to the maintainer remain unanswered.

Unfortunately sometimes maintainers just vanish or ignore requests
because they are not interested in the project any longer. I don't
like that either but writing software is just a hobby for most people
so it's understandable.

The last change by Nathan Rutman in SANE CVS was on 2003-12-01, so at
least at that hime he was still active.