[sane-devel] Need recomendation linux/sane compat scanner w/ fast 2bit/greyscale ADF

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@yahoo.com
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:33:42 -0800 (PST)

After a long while of doing without, I may suddenly need a good scanner for a
collection of documents. I would like to find something with the following
characteristics, if anyone has tried a model that fits the bill.

a) Linux and SANE compatibility exists today. Limited feature support OK.

b) ADF (or ADF option) that has good paper-feed reliability

c) USB (2.0/highspeed) or Firewire interface

d) I really only care about fast b/w and greyscale 300dpi scanning through the
ADF, controlled by the command-line interface. Other scanning concerns are very
minimal, I could use a more common scanner for that.

Hoping for something in the $400-$800 range (new, including ADF), depending on
how fast it is for this type of scanning. I'd also be interested in SANE-ready
models with very high scanning speeds that happen to cost a bit more
($1000-$2000). I really wish the HP 5550c had SANE compatibility, that model
seems perfect otherwise.

Thanks if anyone has any recommendations.