[sane-devel] umax_pp slow

Joe Henley joehenley@kc.rr.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:42:43 -0500

Stef,

Thanks very much for your reply.  I changed my umax_pp.conf file to read:
-------------------------------
option buffer 8388608
port 0x378
option astra 2000

Then I ran the export command, then the scanimage command.  The log
contents are:
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of umax_pp_low to 1.
[umax_pp_low] SANE_INB level 3
[umax_pp_low] sanei_umax_pp_InitPort(0x378,)
[umax_pp_low] sanei_ioperm(0x378, 8, 1) OK ...
[umax_pp_low] UMAX Astra 1220/1600/2000 P ASIC detected (mode=31)
[umax_pp_low] registerRead, found 0xFF expected 0x00 (umax_pp_low.c:6633)
[umax_pp_low] *** It appears that EPP data transfer doesn't work    ***
[umax_pp_low] *** Please read SETTING EPP section in sane-umax_pp.5 ***
[umax_pp_low] Hardware can't do ECP, giving up (umax_pp_low.c:6856) ...
[umax_pp_low] No EPP or ECP mode working, giving up ... (umax_pp_low.c:7475)

The results surprised me.  I ran ppdiag to check and got:
S01: parport built as module
S02: parport0:
S02:    modes:PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP
S02:    ADDR :0x378
S02:    IRQ  :no IRQ used
S02:    DMA  :no DMA used
S03: no parport parameters
S10: ppdev built as module
S12: /dev/parport0 exists ...
S12: /dev/parport0 is readable ...
S12: /dev/parport0 is writable ...
successfull end ....

I double checked my BIOS and it's set to EPP, port 378 and IRQ 7.

So now I'm really stumped.  Please point me in the right direction.

If it's relevant:  using RedHat 9, kernel is 2.4.20-20.9, xsane is
version 0.96, sane-backend is: 1.0.14 with the 6.3 patch for umax_pp,
mobo is an Intel 875PBZ.

Joe

PS:  Sorry about RoadRunner blocking your replies.  I don't know why.