[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3490 PHOTO

Trevor Cordes sane at tecnopolis.ca
Sun Dec 18 12:42:58 UTC 2005

Hi, I'm new to the list.  I just bought an Epson 3490 as it looked
possible to make it work with linux and it got good reviews.

It's working now, but with 3 hours of fighting...

Help for other people trying this in the future:

0. A good site that helped me is:
http://www.michaelminn.com/index.php?linux/peripherals.html

1. Someone should change the sane compatibility list to show that it does
NOT work as of sane-backends-1.0.16.  It should be noted you need CVS or
.17 once it's released.

2. It's quite a bit of work for a FC3 user: must rpm -e sane-backends,
sane-frontends, xsane and xsane-gimp and then compile/install yourself the
first 3 packages from CVS source.

3. Must manually move the 2 hotplug files from sane-be source to
/etc/hotplug trees.

4. Must get the firmware file from a Windows install of the scanner and
put it somewhere in linux and change snapscan.conf to point to it.  File
is esfw52.bin in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

5. *** THE BIG PAIN *** I'm not sure if anyone knows why this happened: It
might be FC3 specific.  The problem was something in the system (I still
don't know what) makes a symlink from /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane.so.1 ->
libsane-v4l.so.1.0.16.  That's totally bogus.  If I rm the symlink it just
instantly pops back into existence!!  Weird!  This wouldn't have been a
problem, but my /etc/ld.so.conf had /usr/local/lib/sane listed BEFORE
/usr/local/lib and so this bogus libsane.so was being used instead of the
real one in /usr/local/lib!  Reversing the order in ld.so.conf solved the
problem.  Scanner works great now.

If anyone knows WTF is up with #5, let me know.

The scanner scans quick and looks good.  I did a test at 600 dpi and it
looks fine.  Someone else reported it looked pixelated?  Please email me
if this appears to still occur as I want to make sure my scans are
perfect.  I haven't tried the TPU yet as I don't really need that feature.

I'm willing to run whatever tests the devs may want and report back if
that would help.  Thanks to all the coders for their fine work.