[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3490 PHOTO

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Dec 27 12:46:12 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:07:28PM -0600, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 03:18:05PM +0100, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> >
> > > 5. *** THE BIG PAIN *** I'm not sure if anyone knows why this happened: It
> > > might be FC3 specific.  The problem was something in the system (I still
> > > don't know what) makes a symlink from /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane.so.1 ->
> > > libsane-v4l.so.1.0.16.  That's totally bogus.  If I rm the symlink it just
> >
> > IIRC this is caused by the libtool --finish call in backend/Makefile.
> > In CVS there is a workaround that removes these links. At least it
> > should...
>
> I was using the latest CVS from Dec 17 and it still did it.

It does not happen here. Maybe it's caused by running ldconfig when
/usr/local/lib/sane is in ld.so.conf? This would be quite logical as
the name of all SANE backends is "libsane.so" internally and the V4L
backend just happens to be the last one in the alphabet.

> My system was FC1 upgraded to 2 upgraded to 3 (actually, I may have
> started with RH9!)... the entry must have been around from way back when.
> I have deleted the line.  At least now this change is documented in
> something that may show up in a google search.

I'll also mention it somewhere in the SANE readme or other
documentation.

This mistake was common about five years ago but I haven't heard about
it recenetly.