[sane-devel] DIN-A3 Scanners supported by SANE

Rene Rebe rene@exactcode.de
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:26:16 +0100

Hi,

Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

>> The Other thing is: Which interface to choose? I need to engineer the
>> fastest solution possible, so I think SCSI is the fastest, am I right?
>> Is the sane-backend so "abstract" that it can handle the scanner at
>> USB/SCSI/FireWire or no matter what, or do I need special support for
>> the interface?
>

> I cannot talk for the Avision scanner, but the EPSON backend will work with
> all three interfaces.
> [ ... ]

The Avision backend "only" supports SCSI and USB - there are no Avision
scanners in wide use (only one OEM model if I'm informed right).

>> I need non-interlaced mode for single-pass scanning, am I right?
>> Is there any limit regarding speed or quality compared to the original
>> windows driver assumed that the sane-driver is well adopted?
>

> Pretty much all modern scanners I know work in single-pass mode. All three
> colors are scanned in one pass.

Yep. I talked about the way the Duplex scans are handeled. If the page
is feed thru the CCD two time, or a two CCD units are available and thus
the image data is normally interlaced.

Currently the Avision backend only implements the later. When I get (or
someone has a scanner to report debug output) I will add non-interlaced
support for those "older / low-cost" devices.

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
             http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.exactcode.de/t2