[sane-devel] a second try

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Jul 24 20:47:06 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 09:50:08PM +0200, Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
> a second try. I have an old Mustek SCSI-Scanner that used to work smoothly
> with my old SuSE 8.1 and kernel 2.4.

As far as I remember, (almost) nothing has been changed in the mustek
SCSI backend in recent years.

> Now I have SuSE 9.3 and kernel 2.6.11, and I have some trouble.
> The scanner is connected to a separate AHA 2940 card (I tested different
> ones). Termination is set to auto. Disconnecting is disabled, the scanner is
> followed by a IOMEGA ZIP SCSI-drive (which works totally flawlessly) at the
> end of this SCSI bus there is an active termination resistor.

Should be ok.

> When the scanner is "awake" I have no issues at all. However, as soon as the
> scanner falls asleep and I try to scan something I get troubles.

Could you explain what you mean by "the scanner falls asleep"?

> Attached I send a part of the contents of /var/log/messages and the output of
> the commands:
>
> export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128
> export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=128
> export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=128
> /usr/bin/scanimage -L > /var/log/scannerdebug 2>&1
> /usr/bin/scanimage -T >> /var/log/scannerdebug 2>&1
>
> The SCSI-system shows a timeout - I haven't experienced similar issues during
> years, so what might cause this.

Maybe I miss something but the scannerdebug log doesn't show any
error. Are you sure that it's not the card which sleeps?

> In /etc/sane.d/mustek.conf I readily activated "option force-wait" to assure
> that the scanner is being waited for. But no success so far.

This wasn't the intention of the force-wait option.

I'll try to reproduce the problem but I'm not sure if I still have such a
scanner.