[sane-devel] Nikon LS50/5000

Spiro Angeli Spiro at siriush.com
Wed Nov 9 20:04:48 UTC 2005

Hi Henning and thank you for your reply.

1)
> man scanimage
> scanimage --help
> scanimage -d coolscan2 > photo.pnm

scanimage -L
device `epson:libusb:001:002' is a Epson GT-9300 flatbed scanner
device `coolscan2:usb:libusb:001:005' is a Nikon    LS-5000 ED       film
scanner
So, the command would be scanimage -d coolscan2:usb:libusb:001:005 > photo
Which reproduced the same exact error, which is:
scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O

So, we are back to square one. Any idea on this?

2)

> > Well, this is not sufficent for allowing a user to fully utilize what was
> > purchased (in my openion). I purchased this device becaue of all its
> > features. Leaving some out would not match purchasing goals.
>
> So you purchased this device with full SANE support? I guess you
> should ask the vendor to provide this full support.
Obviously not. I did only purchase this device, independently from which
application to run. Thou, I did my research prior to purchasing it and came
to the conclusion that VewScan is the only application (as of now) that is
capable of running this specific device. I was/am counting on SANE because I
like the idea to use it and am only thankfull to Ariel and whoever worked
with Ariel for spending time for development.

3)

> > For sure you know this scanner better than I do just because you are
> > deveoloping the driver, but I wish to ask you a question then: How come
> > VieScan allows all customizations?
>
> Perhaps the Vuescan author just implemented all the features in
> software? You are free to do so in SANE also, i.e. it's not impossible
> or forbidden, it just hasn't been done yet in this case.
Most likely it is a software feature which needs development too. So far,
after I will solve my device I/O failure, what does SANE offer for this
specific device? I do not mind waiting thou my photo project must start
elsewhere.

I also offer my time and hardware for allowing some testing for as much as I
am capable of. Obviously if Ariel or whoever is in need of and/or decides to.

So, please someone if possible advice me on how to solve this I/O issue.

thank you for now,
Spiro