[sane-devel] Re: Epson Perfection 3490 -> included bugfix makes it work

Bauke Jan Douma bjdouma at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 16 01:25:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 08:32:42PM +0100, Jim MacLeod wrote:
> Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Good news for all you with an Epson Perfection 3490 USB scanner.
> >
> > Here is a bugfix to get the 'Epson Perfection 3490' scanner working.
> > It now makes perfect color *.pnm scans, at full A4 size.
> >
> Great news - the only problem being that it's way beyond my current skill
> level. Is there any chance of a mini how-to or should I wait for the new
> epkowa release?

A mini howto apply my bugfix to the SANE source-tree?
Here goes nothing:

1. cut 'n paste one of my two patch variations to <patchfile>
2. $> cd <sane-backends>/backend/
3. $> cat <patchfile> | patch -p3 || echo "an ERROR occured"
4. $> cd <sane-backends>/
5. $> configure
6. $> make install

I could also send you a pre-compiled binary libsane-snapscan.so,
for an i386 architecture, but if I were you I'd never trust any
binaries from just any joe random.  In my case you can make an
exception though ;-)  Seriously, I'd be perfectly willing to do
that.

The scanner works like a charm for me here -- I needed it badly
to scan ca. 3000 newspaper clippings.  I'm simply stunned by the
quality compared to my old Canoscan 630P, which itself I always
found to be quite good already.

> Thanks
> Jim

Regards,