[sane-devel] Cant install the 18-version

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jul 4 23:38:58 UTC 2006

Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Jul 4 13:02 Mogens Jæger wrote (shortened):
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/home/mogens/Programmer/Gimp-relateret/sane-backends-1.0.18/doc'
>> Generating index for sane.ps...
>> make[1]: *** [sane.ind] Error 1

As I pointed out in a separate mail, this is probably caused by
missing latex and/or makeindex programs.

This is therefore a problem with the build system ;-)

If latex or makeindex are not there, don't try to make sane.ind (or
bomb at the end of ./configure).

>> My system is SuSE10.1 on an AMD64 bit,
>> scanner is an Epson perfection 2450Photo = GT9700 attached to the
>> firewire port.
>> When trying to install the 'epkowa' package, I am told to install sane
>> first
>
> Why don't you use our sane package for Suse Linux 10.1 for AMD64 bit
> together with the matching sane-32bit package which we provide
> especially for AMD64 bit so that even binary-only i386-only stuff
> like Image Scan should work even on an AMD64 bit system.
>
> In any case:
> This is not a SANE problem but a problem caused by the binary-only
> i386-only Image Scan and you should ask where you got this software
> to provide also a ready-to-use version for AMD64 bit.

Seconded ;-)
# Although I don't want to imagine the breakage that will likely be
# caused by a 32->64 bit change ...

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/