[sane-devel] Cant install the 18-version

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Jul 5 07:35:43 UTC 2006

Mogens Jæger <dsl315036 at vip.cybercity.dk> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>

>>>making all in doc
>>>make[1]: Entering directory
>>>`/home/mogens/Programmer/Gimp-relateret/sane-backends-1.0.18/doc'
>>>Generating index for sane.ps...
>>>make[1]: *** [sane.ind] Error 1
>>>

>>Do you have LaTeX and makeindex?  Check the values for the LATEX and
>>MAKEINDEX variables in doc/Makefile.  If these are empty, that's your
>>problem.
>>

> The LaTeX is installed, but I can't find the makeindex as a part of SuSE.
> In the file doc/Makefile I have these two lines:
> LATEX    = TEXINPUTS=$(srcdir):$$TEXINPUTS /usr/bin/latex
> MAKEINDEX = /usr/bin/makeindex
> (and later)
> sane.ind: sane.tex net.tex
>    @echo Generating index for sane.ps...
>    @touch sane.ind
>    @$(LATEX) $(srcdir)/sane </dev/null >/dev/null && \
>     $(MAKEINDEX) sane.idx 2>/dev/null
>
> Running both seems OK - (I am not that advanced user, that I know what
> they are used for, or how)

The above snippet creates part of the SANE PostScript documentation.
Both required commands were found all right.  Don't know what's wrong.
If you just want to use your scanner, you probably don't need the
documentation.

You can work around the error by telling make to 'just muddle on' with
the '-k' option.  Eh, I'm assuming there are no other errors.

  $ make -k
  # make -k install

> Thanks in advance
> Mogens Jæger

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/