[sane-devel] Problems with Canon CanoScan LiDE 60

Pascal Gwosdek P.Gwosdek at web.de
Sat Jul 22 06:05:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

some days ago, I bought a new CanoScan LiDE 60 to replace my old LiDE 20
which had hardware errors. However, from the beginning on, I was
experiencing problems now resulting in complete inability to scan (in
the moment I am only talking about using the scanner as root user -
rights management should be no problem afterwards).

I am using a SuSE 10.0 distri with Kernel 2.6.13-15, now under SANE
1.0.18 (current CVS, self compiled), also tried with 1.0.17 (rpm) and
during LiDE 20 times, a 1.0.15 package from the SuSE DVD was installed.
When changing SANE versions, I always deleted the /etc/sane.d folder to
be sure no old config is ported.

The scanner seems to be recognized by the system:

# lsusb
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 04a9:221c Canon, Inc.
[...]

# sane-find-scanner
[...]
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x221c [CanoScan],
chip=GL841) at libusb:006:002
[...]

However, accessing it causes problems. First of all, scanimage never saw
it ('No scanners were identified'), but last week it sufficed to specify
the genesys backend with the -d option. This caused every used
application to be able to perform one single scan (yes, one page).
Afterwards, I got a "Invalid argument" message causing me to restart the
application, thus allowing me to perform one more scan. Setting
SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=128, I got some information saying the problems were
related to a failure in the parking function. I hoped for a new backend
implementation and did not care about this fact, as I don't need my
scanner that often and I was somewhat short of time. I was satisfied as
long as I could run scanimage which is re-run for every page anyway.

Now the problems got worse. The scanner is still recognized (cmp. above)
and scanimage -L still can not find it, but this time I can not even run
any scan program because of "Invalid Argument" messages:

# scanimage -d genesys
scanimage: open of device genesys failed: Invalid argument

I also can not get any debug output with SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=128, the one
and only output line stays the same. Dmesg and /var/log/messages don't
say anything about it.

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be related to? Help
would be appreciated, I'm really at a loss in the moment.
Thanks and best regards,

Pascal