[sane-devel] Low priced (ADF) scanner with at least 4PPM?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Sat Jul 22 09:49:24 UTC 2006

I'm looking for a scanner with the following specifications:

* Color flat bed scanner with automatic document feeder.

* Scan speed in black and white at 200 dpi: At least 4 A4 pages / min.

* Resolution: At least 300dpi.

* Interface: USB 2.0 preferred.

* System that it should run with: Linux 2.6 running on an Intel machine.

* Purpose: Archiving documents, but only for private use, and the scan
  volume won't be too high, so the scanner doesn't need to be extremely
  robust.

* Needs to be available in Germany.

* Price: Low.

Any recommendations?  If there currently is no good low priced scanner
with an automated document feeder for LINUX, what ordinary flat bed
scanners can you recommend that are fast at scanning in black and white?

Here's what I found so far, but there are issues with each (prices are
the lowest prices in EUR listed on geizhals.at/de):

* Microtek ScanMaker 5950

  Price: 147.49

  Web: http://www.microtek.de/Product.php?Product=Detail&P_Id=100

  Remarks: No idea about LINUX support.

* Plustek PL806 ADF USB 2.0 (0123)

  Price: 219,07

  Web: http://www.plustek.com/products/PL806.htm

  Remarks: No idea about LINUX support.  Otherwise, this looks like the
    perfect device for my purpose.

* Plustek PL812 ADF USB 2.0 (0124)

  Price: 269.51

  Web: http://www.plustek.com/products/PL812.htm

  Remarks: Looks attractive, but I've no idea about LINUX support.

* Epson Perfection 4490 Office (C11B176063)

  Price: 349.00

  Web:
  http://www.epson.at/product/imaging/epson_perfection_4490_office/index.htm

  Remarks: The price is rather high and yet the scan speed is low (less
    than 4 b/w pages per minute at 300dpi).  Also: No idea about LINUX
    support.

* HP ScanJet 5590C (L1910A)

  Price: 365.00

  Web: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/at/de/ho/WF05a/2919-3879-3885-3885-278601-3659257.html

  Remarks: The 5590 is unsupported by Sane.

--
Felix E. Klee