[sane-devel] sane problem with newer kernel

Roland Kwee roland at kwee.xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 29 22:43:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was using Sane and an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo nicely until I
upgraded from linux kernel 2.6.13.3 to 2.6.17.3.
Now I cannot use the scanner with scanimage or gimp anymore.

The output of sane-find-scanner changed slightly from:

2.6.13.3: found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011b
[EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:001:003

to:

2.6.17.3: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device
/dev/usb/scanner

Usbview shows however the correct vendor and product codes.

Also, udev works better with the new kernel and this line:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}="011b",
NAME="usb/scanner"

that didn't do anything under the older kernel does work under the newer
kernel and creates /dev/usb/scanner.

My impression is that the new kernel does find the scanner at the usb
port, but that it introduces a new problem for sane.

I now have two questions:

1) How do I make sane work with /dev/usb/scanner instead of libusb:001:003?

2) How do I find out more about libusb? (I fail to find any
documentation about libusb, am I looking in the wrong places?)

Thanks for your help.

Roland