[sane-devel] Epson 4490

Karl Heinz Kremer khk at khk.net
Wed May 31 10:42:05 UTC 2006

First of all, vuescan has nothing to do with Sane, so I'm not
commenting on your remarks about vuescan.

I am not planning infrared support for the Sane backend. This is
something that should be handled outside of the backend, so that it's
useful for all scanners that support an infrared channel. Digital ICE
is technology from Kodak (http://www.asf.com), so you will not see
that in Sane. I have not looked into infrared technology at all, but
I assume that there are a number of patents that need to be worked
around, so it's not a simple project to add this to an OSS project.

I don't understand your comment about RAW format. This is something
that you would find in a digital camera, and not a scanner: You are
getting raw image data from Sane. The backend is not interpreting/
manipulating/changing anything.

Karl Heinz