[sane-devel] Debian 3.1, Minolta Film Scanner - Install fails

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Sat Oct 21 21:14:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:42:27 +0200, ableape <renaldo at ableape.us> wrote:

> Using Debian 3.1 with kernels at 2.4.27
>
> Attaching Minolta Dimage Dual Scan over a SCSI interface AHA 2940UW
> which is working.
>
> after the apt-get,  the scanner cannot be found.  There is no
> dev/scanner  in this release of Debian... I am not sure
> which device is supposed to be a scanner.  There are a lot of
> /dev/usb/scannerN in the release.
>
> Is there a work around?  If someone could explain how to do this or
> point me to a resource I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> There will be lots of old high quality film scanners circulating for
> years.
>
> Thanks.

If you connect your scanner via a SCSI-controller, I guess your model is
Minolta Dimage Dual Scan I, a SCSI-scanner. These devices will show up
somewhere under /dev/sgx (maybe /dev/sg0, if no other SCSI-devices are
attached). I am not familiar with Debian 3.1, but it may help to set (as
root) a softlink with ln -s /dev/sg0 /dev/scanner.

Wolfram Heider