[sane-devel] SANE2, time for a decision

Oliver Rauch Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de
Sat Jan 6 22:08:14 CET 2007

Am Samstag, 6. Januar 2007 20:39 schrieben Sie:

> > This way we could have finished the standard in about 8-12 weeks.
> >
> > After that we could start coding SANE2. And when this standard is worth
> > to support it then there will be coders for sanei-code and for frontends.
>
>  I do agree on the timeframe, but don't think we can find devs this way.
>  The people who were interested has already posted in this list,
>  I don't think there are more left.

1) We do not need to convert all backends from SANE1 to SANE2,
a SANE2 frontend can and should support SANE1 and SANE2 backends.

2) we have some developers that publicy told that they will support
some sane-backends for SANE2. There will be a lot more that will
work on it when the work has begun. There will be several developers who will
support SANE2 but they don´t want to promise it in the moment and so they
don`t shout out loud that they will work on it. But there are lot that will
work on SANE2 - I am sure.

The most important thing is to get a SANE2 test backend and a SANE2
compatible frontend, otherwise noone will be able to use a SANE2 backend.

I will make xsane SANE2 compatible - may be not with the highest priority, so
it will take some time, but I will work on it - when the SANE2 standard is
worth to be supported.

I am sure there will be several developpers that convert scanimage and
xscanimage, and we will see how soon quiteinsane, kooka etc. will be made
SANE2 compatible.

What we need is a consensus that we have a SANE2 standard that all (or most of
the) active developers can accept.

But I also can say that I will not support the SANE2 standard when we get the
same infinite sensless and aggressive discussion we had some years ago.

Best regards
Oliver