[sane-devel] SANE2, time for a decision

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Sun Jan 7 03:33:56 CET 2007

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Oliver Rauch wrote:

[snip]

> The SANE2 standard is not finished, so it does not make sens to start coding
> SANE2. It would be a big mistake to start coding SANE2 at this point because
> the standard is not finished and will change.

[snip]

> I spent a lot of time in the SANE2 standard proposal. It took me a lot of
> energie and time to work out this proposal, but the following infinite and
> partly useless discussion about SANE2 (some years ago) made me stop my work
> on it.

your insistence on having a completed standard prior to coding is exactly
what created your desire to stop. you gave those who disagreed with you
the power to halt your development. i was not involved with sane 5 years
ago when most of the discussions took place, but i daresay that if i had
arrived on the scene and found that you personally had already started
coding sane2 with modest consensus and a history of being flexible, i
would have helped you.

instead, we find ourselves staring at a standard that is outdated
regarding many of the new ideas that have come along in the last 4 years,
and any time someone tries to start up a discussion, they get told to hold
their horses cause the standard is not done?

in the absense of a strong leader to direct things (no torvalds here), i
am willing to bet that we need some running code BEFORE the rough
consensus :)

> The standard is not ready for coding, but we can finish it shortly, the major
> part is done. But it is only possible when we create a little group (3-5
> backend and frontend programmers) that discuss and improve the standard
> proposal NON PUBLIC - or we will get the infinite discussion again.

that is the most insulting suggestion that i have heard lately. only some
people on this list are qualified for the continuing discussion of sane2?
that the public only gets 1-2 weeks to comment?

i am not nearly as good a programmer as you guys, but even i can see some
need for changes to the standard draft. the fact that prior discussions
got 'heated' (i dont know, i have not read them all) does not mean they
will again. that is, as long as the folks who put time into the current
draft are not afraid to see it change...

allan