[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 7400C trouble

Andre Majorel aym-enas at teaser.fr
Wed Sep 12 15:32:23 UTC 2007

On 2007-09-12 16:14 +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:
> On 2007-09-09 22:36 +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:
>
> > Hello all. I'm trying to use a HP Scanjet 7400C via USB and am
> > having problems.
> >
> > 1) Nasty-sounding shoe-shining during scans. Happens even at
> > resolutions/depths that you would think a USB 2 port can take (300
> > DPI colour, around 2.5 MB/s if I not mistaken).
> >
> > 2) Every few scans, the scanner will freeze, either not starting
> > to scan or stopping in mid-scan. scanimage takes a long time to
> > time out. After that, any further attempts to run scanimage fail
> > (does nothing and finally times out). You have to power the
> > scanner off and back on.
>
> This is with ohci-hcd, if it matters.

Here's a scenario.

Power computer on (scanner already on and connected).

  # modprobe ochi-hcd

  # mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb

  # sane-find-scanner
  libusb:001:002

  # scanimage -d avision:libusb:001:002 --mode gray -r 600dpi >foo.pnm

scanimage blocks, even though the LCD display on the scanner says
"Prêt" ("Ready"). scanimage finally times out with this message :

  scanimage: sane_start: Device busy

Try a second time :

  # scanimage -d avision:libusb:001:002 --mode gray -r 600dpi >foo.pnm

This time, the LCD on the scanner switches to "Initialisation...".
The scanner starts doing its thing, with copious shoe-shining. It
scans a few cm then freezes. After a while, scanimage times out
with this message :

  scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

  # scanimage -L

  # sane-find-scanner
  found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [hp], product=0x0801 [hp scanjet 7400c])
    at libusb:001:002

Try a third time :

  # scanimage -d avision:libusb:001:002 --mode gray -r 600dpi >foo.pnm

After about one minute, ooh, yet another error message :

  scanimage: open of device avision:libusb:001:002 failed: Invalid argument

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Do not use this account for regular correspondence.