[sane-devel] SANE2 standard completion

Emmanuel Fust emmanuel.fuste at laposte.net
Sun Mar 30 20:18:21 UTC 2008

> Message du 28/03/08 22:50
> De : "Julien BLACHE"
> "m. allan noah"  wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >>         - scanner's button handling
> >
> > this is overly complicated, and should be re-examined.
>
> For that and other reasons, I think it'd really be better to have the
> frontends be entirely isolated from the backends, as I explained
> already.
>
> This would provide a central point (saned) handling the hardware
> entirely, it can chat with other things (HAL, anything over D-Bus, you
> name it) and we totally avoid the current side effects we have today.
>
> The more I think about it, the more I think this is the way to go.
>
> JB.

Yes !!!!! I had the same feeling many years ago, twain like things with front end and backend coupling by libs/dlopen is a dead end.
With saned, you could cleanly solve the  resource sharing problem, warm-up time pblm, tandby etc.... Your could have a clean network transport but nothing prevent you to have a locally optimized transport for data like shared memory buffers.
And more interestingly, this net-oriented protocol could be designed with extensibility and backward compatibility in mind and saned could easily use directly all old V1 backends or native and rationalized new backend code. V1 like api become and internal API which could evolve as needed.
A new client (frontend) library could be developed and if someone really need it, it could expose a compatible v1 API/ABI (but it not worth it I think).

EF.

 Créez votre adresse électronique prénom.nom at laposte.net
 1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus intégrés.