[sane-devel] New backend for a not yet exisiting device

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:06:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Torsten Wagner
<torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de> wrote:
> Dear Allan,
>
> thanks for the fast reply. I checked the chips from genesys. As far as I
> understood they are seperated in a USB-communication part and a ASIC design
> for the ccd-chip.
> From my point of view it will make no sense to try to adopt our very different
> sensor signal to the one a CCD-chip might send to the genesys chip. Thus, I
> believe the best solution might be to emulate one of those chips from the
> communication side. Since we are going to use a FPGA for other purposes
> already it might be the "easiest" way to emulate the communication between
> the PC and the scanner chip such that the sane-backend resp. Twain-driver
> still believes a normal scanner is connected.
> Is there one IC with a wide usage or something like a reference IC? Is there
> any kind of standard protocoll, which we might can follow?

there is nothing standard about any of these protocols except maybe
the ones based on SCSI could be called a 'half-standard'

  Which manufacture
> provides most information? And which one welcomes projects like this (resp.
> opensource in general) without let the dogs resp. lawyers out.

most of the chip makers who would give you specs dont make a twain
driver for you to 'repurpose'. i find it funny to think that you would
write code to use an fpga to emulate a machine, just to avoid writing
some code :)

ask yourself seriously, is anyone ever going to want to 'aquire' a
TWAIN image from this thing to insert into a document or something?
most labs i have ever worked with moved files around on a flash drive
to achieve the same effect.

allan