[sane-devel] Required backend and Front end for Canon Lide 100

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 14:06:20 UTC 2009

> We require the patch for supportig Canon Lide 100 in linux.
> Is it possible for you to support us.
>
> Thanks  and Regards,
>
> Arunav Gupta

Arunav- I expect that this is related to the purchase by educomp.com?
Their employee Sivananda Choudhury contacted us about this in June. As
this is a Genesys-Logic GL843 based scanner, I suggested that he
contact the author of the sane genesys backend, who responded as
follows:

-----------------------
I am very sorry, but i don't have the time to add support for GL843
based scanners. Although this chip is similar to the gl841/2, it is
different enough to require a new "sub backend" in the genesys backend.

(from http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2009-June/025050.html)
----------------------

The GL843 is a low-level chip, which requires a great deal of help
from the PC in order to scan. There is also no documentation available
for how your scanner has wired the chip, only generic documentation
from the chip maker. So proper support would require significant
reverse engineering. This will take many hours of tedious and
difficult work.

This leaves you with two choices:

1. Find a developer in your company to write the driver. We will
provide guidance, and useful example code, provided the final product
adheres to our license.

2. Find an external developer to write the driver, preferably someone
familiar with SANE. We will provide the same support as above. The
manner by which you induce this developer to work is up to you, but
keep in mind that low-level scanners make for frustrating work,
particularly when they lack documentation.

allan