[sane-devel] API addition request

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Sat Jun 20 17:01:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:54:44 -0400
"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  So you force it to either switch or to maintain two trees.
>
> Julien's idea is precisely not to maintain two trees, but rather to
> abandon ancient code. Every other project I have ever been involved
> with has some mechanism to remove old stuff. Sane should be no
> different.

 The problem with SANE is that you might loose support for hardware
 which is still in use.

 Most projects do not carry on hw driver and those who do and followed
 the path you suggested (i.e. ati and nvidia graphics drivers)... well..
 let's just say that the users did not appreciate.

> >  Oh well, I do not agree, but.. so be it.
> >
> >  I'd love to have the media type anyway ;)
>
> And you can get it, along with things that other people want, as long
> as we are realistic about our capabilites, and we keep the front-end
> author's job as easy as possible.

 nic, thanks ;)

--

 Best regards,