[sane-devel] HP N6350

Wouter Verhelst w at uter.be
Thu Apr 11 19:53:02 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

As I blogged recently[1], I own an HP ScanJet N6350 that TTBOMK does not
work with SANE, and of which the Windows software is just crap.

I'd like to see if I can reverse engineer the protocol (USB and/or
network). This should at the very least be possible, as I'm already
running Windows inside a VM; so it should just be a matter of using
wireshark on the USB and/or network interface.

Now I do think I have a general idea of how to reverse engineer a
protocol, but I've never actually done anything of the sort before. Is
there something I should pay specific attention to when doing this sort
of thing?

Additionally, once I've figured out the protocol (or have gathered
enough data), is there somewhere I could send it? I don't think I have
the understanding of the SANE internals to do write the driver myself...

[1] http://grep.be/blog/en/computer/hardware/dear_hp
--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy
requires you to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once,