[sane-devel] fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:31:06 UTC 2015

A repeat of a private mail to mike:

By default, if you give no arguments to ./configure, it will install
the finished product in various directories under /usr/local. Your
PATH environment variable might include /usr/local/bin, so your
command line will use the copy of scanimage you built. However, most
linux distros do not include /usr/local/lib in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
evironment var. I have no idea why.

So, we need to make that permanent. You could do that for just your
account by modifying the scripts that run when you login. Or (my
preference) is to modify the system config files to include that
directory for every account on the system:

sudo sh -c "echo '/usr/local/lib' > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/sane.conf"
sudo ldconfig

Then you should be able to run simple-scan directly. If not, try a reboot first.

And yes- this scanner should support duplex- look for the 'source' option.

allan

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Mike <Stabmasterarson10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> Thanks for all your posts. I've just gotten my scanner working by following
> your directions. Now I'm wondering, is there a way to scan without using the
> command:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib simple-scan
>
> Is there a way I can use simple scan without going into terminal?
> Am I right to assume that double sided scanning is not supported?
>
> I am very novice with Linux. I appreciate everything you've already done for
> me.

of my hand"