[sane-devel] Canon TS5050

Peter Saunderson peteasa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 07:57:51 UTC 2017

Thank you all for your help.  I see in the file cnijifnet.c that the
discovery process uses broadcast:
if (CNNL_SearchPrintersEx(hmdl, nic, CACHE_PATH, max, &found,
CNNET_SEARCH_BROADCAST, 1, (installer==1)? 5000:3000) == CNNL_RET_SUCCESS){

And that the library used is provided as a binary from Canon.  So the
Canon provided drivers will never work across a router that does not
forward the necessary broadcast packets.

As the backend (https://github.com/Ordissimo/scangearmp2) is built on
the same Canon drivers then the discovery will also not work across
subnets as I have discovered.  I did start with the printer on the same
subnet and the discovery did work ok so I know that that is ok on same
subnet.

So my plan is to use the printer on the same subnet as the PC... I might
explore explicit IP address URI bjnp://<ip_address> a bit more if I have
time but for now I plan to keep it simple!

Thank you again for your assistance.

Peter.