[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
18 May 2005 19:20:45 +1000

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 15:53, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> skaller wrote:
> ...deleted
> > Are we measuring the cost of interfacing to an
> > external library .. and if so how can we do that
> > when external libraries are excluded ..? <g>
>
> would it be a good idea to have a specific test for this purpouse?
> a ''foreign function interface'' test.
> and disallow such use in other tests?

I think an FFI oriented test would be a good idea
'in principle' but guess the changes to the Shootout test harness
and web site would not be trivial, so a proposal to include such a test
should be considered but put on hold.

Some tests might include both functionality AND use
an FFI, so I wouldn't automatically exclude all
other FFI use.

Note however I tend to favour more tests organised in
categories than the current Shootout design,
so I'd probably have an FFI 'unit' test, and a couple
of tests of practical significance that used FFI's but
weren't entirely dominated by them.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia