[Soc-coordination] Debian as a GSoC umbrella org?

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre at debian.org
Tue Feb 15 15:02:18 UTC 2011

Le mardi 15 février 2011 à 15:53 +0100, Steffen Möller a écrit :
> On 02/15/2011 03:35 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>
> > Being a bit involved in Debian Science, I'll be very happy to see
> > science-related project in the Gsoc and I believe that they should
> > be dealt with the same importance as others.
>
> This sounds excellent, but really do not want to weaken the
> extremely important core bits, really.
To me, a weak proposal on a core subject is less likely to get selected than a great
one on a "minor" subject.

> >> Stefano, Arthur, if either of you vetos the idea to have a separate
> >> organisation with  GSoC bearing the name "Debian", then this of course
> >> won't happen and I do not feel any bad about it (who could I).
>
> > We could also ask for more slots to increase the chance to have
> > science-related projects selected.
>
> Can we ask? I thought we were assigned a fixed number of slots
> and had to just live with it.
Yes and no. You say how much you want at the beginning. If you are not
happy, you can ask for more during a (funny) IRC meeting. Last year, on
an other project, I have been able to get two more (starting from about
12).

Sylvestre